Explain the benefits of standardized recipes and nutritional testing for special dietary needed populations
Food is eaten so that we can survive. A balanced diet is essential for every individual since it has the correct amounts of all the necessary nutrients such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. However, special care in terms of diet has to be taken for pregnant women, infants and children, elderly people and people suffering from food allergies or medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disorders, and many more.
Importance of eating healthy nutritional food
- The risk of many diseases such as heart disorders, cancer, gastritis, osteoporosis, and many more can be reduced by eating a healthy diet.
- High blood pressure can be reduced and kept under check through regulated diet.
- High cholesterol levels can be reduced through a controlled diet.
- General well-being is improved.
- Immunity can be boosted with a healthy diet.
- Ability of a person to recover from injuries and illnesses can be improved by eating a healthy diet.
Each nutrient in a balanced diet has its own function. Carbohydrates and fats provide energy, proteins are needed to build the body cells, vitamins and minerals are needed in small amounts for proper metabolism of the body, water and roughage are essential to maintain body temperature and digestive mobility, respectively.
Standardized recipe and its benefits – relation with new food product development
It is essential to set a standardized recipe for such people. A standardized recipe ensures that every time a food item is being produced, it comes out to be the best. Another consideration is that, every time the ingredients and their specified quantities are used to prepare a food item, the cost per serving remains the same. The standardized recipe always contains the list of ingredients needed for the production of food item. There are several benefits of using a standardized recipe.
- The quality and quantity of the food item remains consistent
- The food item has a standard portion and the cost also remains constant
- The nutritional content is assured that addresses dietary concerns for special groups of people such as those having food allergies or medical problems, etc.
- The food item ensures compliance with the concept of “Truth in menu”
- A standardized recipe helps in forecasting about the nutritional requirements as well as cost of a food item before purchasing it.
Nutritional testing/analysis and the ways they are done for new product development in food industry
Nutrition Response Testing is the method of analyzing the body to determine the underlying cause of an illness. It is a non-invasive system. Once the results are obtained from these tests, the diet can be corrected through natural nutritional means, such that the body can repair itself to maintain an optimum health. Vitamin and nutrition blood tests can detect gluten, mineral, iron, calcium and other deficiencies.
A nutritional assessment can be described as an in-depth evaluation of data on an individual’s nutrient intake, lifestyle and medical history. This assessment is done under four categories:
- Anthropometrics – These are objective measurements of body muscle and body fat. Weight and height are the most frequently used elements in this test and skinfold measurement of body parts are also taken.
- Biochemical – Laboratory tests are performed with blood and urine samples. They are important indicators of the nutritional status in individuals.
- Clinical – Data providing information on an individual’s medical history that include chronic or acute illness, diagnostic procedures, therapies and treatments performed on an individual.
- Dietary – Data on diet consumption can be obtained from medical practioners through a nutrition interview with patients.
Role of food and beverage development consultants and the services provided by them
Nowadays, several people have dietary concerns due to their health problems. Also, people choose special diets due to religious or cultural reasons, or just to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle through a healthy diet. Food manufacturers have to provide nutritional facts on each food item that they manufacture and sell in the market. For this, they have to analyze all the ingredients in the food products. This can be done by providing a list of ingredients to a food scientist, or by putting in measured data about ingredients to a nutritional database. A food consultant advises the food industry business and professionals to develop and improve on food service operations. This is because food consultants are experts in gastronomy, food safety and quality of food. Restaurants, food producers, schools and other food service facilities can hire a food consultant.
A food product can be created by following the steps:
- Getting an idea about the rules and laws regarding food production as given by the government of a country
- Working in a licensed kitchen and getting a certificate
- Developing one’s own food product through innovative ideas
- Finalizing the ingredients of the recipe
- Creating labels for the new food products
- Starting to process the food product
- Packaging of the finished food product
- Selecting the appropriate distribution mode for the newly developed food product
After all this, the major steps that could be followed next involve screening, feasibility, test marketing, and commercialization of the food product in the consumer market.
Role of food product development and food innovation companies
Food companies play a very important role to develop new food products that target this awareness. Food companies promote those newly processed food products which are actually the modified versions of the regular products. For example,a newly developed food or beverage has an altered recipe that makes them low in fat, low in salt or sugar and high in fibre or water content. Food companies hire food scientists who are involved in improved processing, canning, freezing, storing, packaging and distribution of the newly developed food or beverage. These scientists also discuss about the processes, equipments and other aspects for food product development with the management of the food company.
Food product development is essential, especially for those consumers who have special needs, since the diet of such consumers are highly specific to maintain their health and well-being. Food products which can be eaten quickly and has a minimal preparation and heating time are preferred by people. Development of new food products must be consumer-oriented to maintain a long-term success in the food market.
1. Aeschbachinc. (2020). What’s Cooking.
2. Annie Young. (2018). Even on standardized diet, gut flora change from day to day.
4. Mary Earle, & Anderson, R. E. and A. (2001). Food Product Development.